Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Alien Greens - Roman cauliflower

Romanesco Broccoli also known as Roman cauliflower is definitely a sight to see, and a delight to eat. I had never heard of it until a few months ago when I stumbled upon this strange looking brocoflower at my Italian grocery store. Obviously I just had to buy it when it said grown in Ontario. It was really funny to see people looking at it picking it up like it was some strange alien vegetable. I figured it had to be similar to a broccoli or cauliflower and I was right. It's very close to cauliflower however it has these amazing pointed edges and a vibrant florescent green colour. It's also a bit sweeter then cauliflower which has a very pungent smell when cooked - my dad thinks it smells like feet and can't stand the stuff. I just love it but for those cauliflower haters Romanesco broccoli would be a great alternative.  I enjoyed this beautiful bouquet of veg roasted with olive oil s&p and it was amazing. There are so many vegetables that need very little preparation to taste delicious and this is one of them. 
PREP: Pre heat oven 350. Wash and cut veg into bite size florets. Coat every piece with a drizzle of olive oil sea salt and pepper. 
COOK: roast until golden or slightly charred peaks 20 mins or so - i like mine with a bit of bite and lots of char so I roast them under the broiler for about 10 mins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!