Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Taboule with a Twist


 Taboule or tabouleh is a very traditional Middle Eastern salad. It's something I grew up eating and really love. Most of the time you see this being served along side a hummus plate or inside a shewarma sandwich. Traditionally taboule is made simply with bulgur, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, mint/ parsley, and lemon. I've obviously put my own Tomato Snob twist on it by using arugula in place of the parsley. I also added radish which I love for their bitter crunch, I also used red onion instead of white. This salad is wonderful served along side my blackened salmon or any grilled meat. As I'm trying to eat healthier and get more vitamins I also blanched off and quick pan fried some kale in my cold infused olive oil (from yesterdays demo).  Here's the taboule low down...
INGREDIENTS: 
1 cup cooked bulgur - cook like rice: 1 cup dried bulgur to 1 3/5 cups liquid 
2 handfuls of arugula - fine chop
1 clove garlic - minced
2 tomatoes - seeds removed & finely chopped
handful radishes - fine chop
1/2 red onion - fine chop
2 baby cucumbers - seeds removed & finely chopped
1 sprig of mint - fine chop 
pinch salt & pepper
1 lemon - juiced
sumac - pinch 
drizzle olive oil - infused oil works too!
PREP: Chop all ingredients, add lemon s&p, sumac and drizzle of oil. Toss and enjoy! 

That's all folks... Happy Friday! Stay tuned for a special weekend post. I'm thinking a healthy baked good.

4 comments:

  1. I think using the arugula is genius. I've never been a huge fan of taboule because I'm not a huge fan of so much parsley. This (and the addition of radish) sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful taboule! I could definitely eat on a bowl of this any time =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful and tasty! I'm been super into radishes lately and think I might give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taboule, and your variation sounds very interesting! :) Such a lovely refreshing dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!