Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Coconut Ginger drops


These delicious drops take me back to my childhood and the first time my family vacationed in Jamaica. I remember going to Dunns River falls in Ocho Rios with my parent specifically walking through the market with my dad who bought me my first ever coconut drop. They were dark, sweet slightly spicy, crunchy and chewy all at the same time. Probably far more mature a flavor then most little girls would like, but what can I say, I guess I've always had a sophistocated palate. It wasn't until a few years ago that I was reminded how much I love this sweet treat. Unless you are Jamaican you've probably never had anything like this before. Very different then a traditional coconut macaroon the dark caramel and spicy ginger totally transform the coconut into some much more complex. I suggest freezing your ginger in advance which makes it much easier to grate. I actually used these crumbled over vanilla bean ice cream at a dinner party last night and the clients just loved it. 
INGREDIENTS: 
2 coconuts - fresh/ fine chop
1 cup grated ginger 
2 cups light brown sugar 
2 1/2 cups of water 

PREP: Coconuts have three dark spots on them, you'll want to look for the soft eye. Using a clean sharp tool (meat thermometers work well) try inserting in to the eyes until you find the soft one. Plunge the tool into it piercing deep into to the coconut to reach the liquid. Drain liquid off into a glass and taste to make sure the coconut is good. If it taste sweet proceed, if its sour and disgusting throw it away. The next step is to place the coconut into a 400 degree oven for 5-10 mins which will create cracks in the shell and help break out more easily. Place the coconut in a folded cloth and whack it with a hammer. The shells should pop off. If there is any stubborn coconut flesh that doesn't easily come out of the shell use a butter knife to lift around the flesh and it should release. Then finely chop the coconut. 

COOK: In a medium sauce pan Bring all ingredients to a rapid boil then reduce the heat to medium (still bubbling) and stir with a wooden spoon until the liquid starts to thicken and reduce. Cook until it is very difficult to stir and everything is caramelized and sticky. Then remove from the heat. With two spoons scoop out mixture onto a parchment lined baking dish (you will need 2). Let the drops cool and harden before enjoying. 








17 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding me on Foodbuzz! I think these coconut drops look amazing! I am not a huge spicy fan, but I will try anything with coconut in it! :) I am following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a truly interesting treat! I love both coconut and ginger, but together? I'll have to try this, I am beyond intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique and delicious sounding/looking recipe - buzzed!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organically Mo - they aren't really spicy just have a nice warmth from the ginger ;). Definitely a unique recipe, not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ginger and I love coconut. I am going to have to make these. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy..have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique treat, never seen anything like this...and only 4 ingredients! I do have to say the thought of cutting a coconut scares me a little!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing... I've never had a coconut drop before, but they definitely sound like my kind of treat - especially with spicy ginger in the mix! I'm going to have to hunt down some fresh coconut so I can try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honesty time? I would be terrified to try to eat this, I'm so stupidly picky. However-they are GORGEOUS and I know so many people who would be super impressed if I made these for them :) Thank you so much for your FoodBuzz friend request-I love your blog and I hope you'll like mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These drops look gorgeous and delicious - a beautiful on the go snack :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Brown Butter Surprise M&Ms Ultra Chewy Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe, I love anything with coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I generally do not like coconut but this recipe is a very good one, making me think of tasting coconut again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it's so different when you have it fresh! This is just a wonderful sweet treat!

      Delete
  14. These are super cool, never seen something like this. Combining my two loves - coconut and ginger! I need to try these asap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I'm intrigued! The ginger really caught my eye, but the coconut sealed the deal. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!