Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In honour of Spain lets make some churros


Holla amigos, buenos dias. Hoy me voy a escribir halgo sobre un postre increĆ­ble de verano...los churros. I bet I just threw you all for a loop there eh. My Spanish may be limited but my love of the food, people and soccer team knows no bounds. I hope you all enjoyed your long weekend. Happy Canada day to my Canadian readers, Happy 4th of July to the yanks & a HUGE felicidades to everyone who rooted for Spain in the Euro cup. It really was an unbelievable win against Italy on Sunday. In honour of Spain's legendary win I'm going to let you all in on my amazing churro recipe. It took me a while to perfect these delicious donut sticks and it's my absolute pleasure sharing my secret with you.  Churros are popular in pretty much every Spanish speaking country in the world. In Spain and other parts of South America they are an extremely popular street food eaten with dulce de leche - a delicious caramel like sauce made from boiled sweetened condensed milk. In Mexico churros are enjoyed along side a spicy hot chocolate drink. Either way they taste absolutely delicious. You will need a pastry bag and large star tip to make the churros as well as a hell of a lot of muscle to fold the dough (choux paste) until perfectly smooth.

INGREDIENTS: 
1 cup water 
2 tbs white sugar + more for dusting
1/2 tsp salt 
1/3 cup unsalted butter 
1 cup a.p. (all purpose) flour 
2 eggs - beaten 
1/2 tsp vanilla 
pinch ground cinnamon - for dusting
pinch ground nutmeg  - for dusting 
vegetable oil or shortening to fry (you need about 4 inches of oil in a medium pot)

STEP 1: Whisk eggs and vanilla together and place off to the side. Combine sugar, a pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg in a dish and place to the side for dusting.
STEP 2: Pre heat fryer oil on high (you will test the oil before frying churros by dropping a small amount of dough)
STEP 3: In a medium pot bring water, sugar, salt & butter to a boil. Turn heat off before step 4.
STEP 4: Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combine (will form a large ball). 
STEP 5: Add egg/ vanilla mixture and continue to work into the dough until everything has come together. 
STEP 6: Place the star tip inside the pastry bag and fill with 1/2 the churro mixture. 
STEP 7: Test the oil by squeezing a small dollop of dough and if large bubbles form around it the oil is ready.  Squeeze 6-10 churros into the oil and fry for about 5 mins until a deep  golden colour.
STEP 8: Place the churros on to paper towel and then into the mixture of cinnamon sugar.


7 comments:

  1. My mouth is salivating just looking as these babies tempting me to grab at the photograph.....what will become of me??? They do look gorgeous and no doubt taste amazing!! Can't wait to get to Spain to have some at the Bouceria market in Barcelona...but what will I do until then??? Don't forget that you promised me some.....and I'm holding you to it!! xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love churros, but have never made them at home. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made churros at home, but yours look amazing! So much that, despite being quite the workout to prepare the dough, I'd like to try making these myself at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made these but this is quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love churros! Your recipe sounds spot on =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks yall... This is a must try recipe - everyone will love you and beg to make them again and again. Just be sure to serve with salted dulce de leche :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents. I love change!